Posted in Port & City - Ludic SpacesESCULLERA ESPLANADE
The Llevant Dike
The plans by Juan Ruiz de Apodaca and Joan Smith made use of the existing Roman and mediaeval remains and laid the foundations for the modern port, with the East Dike forming the main axis.
The East Dike, the main breakwater in the port of Tarragona, was built using stones extracted from Pons d’Icart quarry by the strong inmates being held in the city. The material was transported to the pier using carts pulled by bullocks or mules. However, the larger stones were moved using a wooden platform called a burro which operates by sliding on rollers. Years later, the tramway would be used to transport the larger blocks from the quarry up to the dock via Plaça dels Carros.
In the early 20th century, machinery took prominence when it came to cargo loading and discharging, as was the case with the construction process. A Titan crane with a capacity of up to 20 tons was set up at the East Dike for the extension works taking place up to 1918.
The most recent extension of the East Dike was completed in 2007, giving the dike a total length of 4850 meters. That has enabled the port’s infrastructure to develop, with new sites planned on land. Likewise, it has also become an urban site where the citizens of Tarragona can carry out a range of activities, such as going on a pleasant stroll, taking in the views of the port or following a cultural trail visiting several interesting spots: the port’s clock tower – a geodesic spot – and Banya and Arago Dock lighthouses. Other popular activities include bicycle trails along cycle paths, roller skating, jogging or even scuba diving at the underwater park that belongs to the Underwater Exploration Society.